Non-Domestic/Commercial BER


Why choose Declan Noonan & Associates?
If you need a BER Certificate for your commercial premises, then you are either building, selling or renting this property. This means that you will have additional requirements, for example surveying, mapping, fire safety certificates, or a whole host of other services. Unlike other BER assessors, we are skilled and experienced in all aspects of the construction industry. We have a Chartered Engineer, a Structural Engineer, a Chartered Environmentalist, a qualified Passive House Designer and a Chartered Builder on our team. Reduce your time spent on site and the hassle involved in organising multiple service providers, by appointing Declan Noonan & Associates as your BER Assessor.

We can then provide these additional services to you at a reduced cost. We will be visiting your premises to undertake the BER, so any additional service we can offer will have the cost of the site visit deducted. Take advantage of our knowledge while we are on site completing the assessment by getting a professional opinion and get true value for your money.

Other companies do not have the in-house expertise to carry out a Non-Domestic BER. They subcontract this work out and charge you a premium. Cut out the middle man and appoint us as your BER assessors.

What is a BER?
A Building Energy Rating (BER) and advisory report is to be supplied by the owner to a prospective buyer or tenant when a non-residential building is constructed, sold or rented. From 1 July 2008 a BER is required for new non-residential buildings for which planning permission is applied on/after that date. From 1 January 2009 a BER is required for existing non-residential buildings, when offered for sale or rent.  The BER is intended to give prospective buyers and tenants information about the energy performance of buildings. The BER also gives builders/developers and vendors/landlords, an incentive to upgrade the energy performance of the building by giving visible credit to superior standards.

The BER must be accompanied by an “Advisory Report” setting out recommendations for cost-effective improvements to the energy performance of the building. However there will be no legal obligation on vendors or prospective purchasers to carry out the recommended improvements.

What is a non-domestic building?
A non-domestic or commercial building is any building that is used for commercial use. This covers everything from large scale warehouses and office blocks to small retail spaces and workshops. It includes, but are not limited to, shops, factory units, shopping centre premises, restaurants, offices, crèches, etc.

Are there exemptions?
Transitional exemptions apply to new non-domestic buildings for which planning permission has been applied for on or before 30th June 2008 provided the new non-domestic buildings involved are substantially completed by 30th June 2010.  For a full list of building types which are exempt from Commercial BERs give us a call.

My property has a number of individual units. Do I need to carry out Commercial BER’s on all of the units?
Yes. If a unit has a number of different tenants-for example an office on first floor and a shop on the ground floor-then a BER is required for both premises.

I have a building which has a commercial premises on the ground floor and an apartment on the top floor. I am selling both. What do I need?
You need to carry out a commercial and a domestic BER cert for this property. Click here for information on a domestic BER.

What happens if I do not get a commercial BER?

  • Failure to produce a BER Certificate to an authorised officer of the building control authority may fine up to €5,000.
  • Failure to produce a BER Certificate means the sale of your commercial property cannot proceed.
  • If you are leasing your property through an agent, the agent cannot legally advertise it without a BER rating.
  • Furthermore, if a lease is signed without the issuance of a BER Certificate, the lease is not valid. For example, if you lease your commercial property and your tenant moves in, should they have a problem with the property they can walk away penalty free from the property as there was no BER issued to them. The lease is not legally valid.

BER Assessment Process
The building owner must engage a registered BER Assessor, such as Declan Noonan & Associates, to carry out assessments. The BER Assessor follows the Non Domestic Energy Assessment Procedure(NEAP) to calculate the BER and generate the advisory report. The assessment is submitted for publication on the national BER register.

BER CertificateNon domestic BER Cert
The BER is an indicator of energy performance covering energy use for space heating and cooling, water heating, ventilation and lighting, calculated on the basis of standard operating patterns. It is accompanied by a CO2 emissions indicator.

What determines the Commercial Energy Rating achieved?
There are numerous factors taken into account to determine the Commercial Energy Rating of a building. Among these include:

  • The heating system implemented
  • The level and type of insulation
  • The quality of the build and construction
  • The ventilation system that is in place
  • Level and type of lighting (e.g. energy efficient bulbs) used
  • Level of renewable technologies adopted

All of these factors and a host of others are taken into account when calculating the rating of a property.

How do I find out more?
Simply contact Declan Noonan & Associates. Click here for contact details.